Sunday, May 31, 2009

I'm worth it!

This competition has been the most physically challenging experience of my life. I know many people think this should be easy for me, particularly because I started the competition with a bit of weight loss success. However, that is far from the truth. Just because I've lost some weight before the contest does not mean I've been "cured". I struggle every single day, battling temptation and cravings. There were many mornings I wanted to swat the alarm clock off my nighstand, and curl back in bed, skipping my workout.

I'm not sure if many of you know, but I'm a single mom. I don't have any family in the area, heck, I don't have any family in the continental United States. If I don't do "it" (whatever "it" may be - work fulltime, take care of my children, household chores, projects, etc) then "it" doesn't get done. My children have responsibilites around the house, and really do their share of helping out, but the rest fall on my shoulders. It's not easy, but it's my life, and giving in and quitting is not an option for me. So I keep pushing myself to do more, go farther, be stronger, live healthier. It's not easy. It's mentally and physically exhausting.

I pretty much got to the end of my rope on Friday - parts of my assessment didn't have the results I wanted, and I just didn't know what more I could do. I left my workout in a daze, utterly spent, discouraged, and defeated.

It's crazy how things can kind of fall into place and certain things will happen just when you need them to - I was fortunate to receive an invitation to a homecoming party for Kristin Steede and Cathy Skell, the mother-daughter duo from Wisconsin who were on The Biggest Loser Season 7, for Friday evening. Cathy and Kristin looked AMAZING, and were so kind and gracious. I think the best part of meeting and speaking to Cathy and Kristin was that they're in the same boat I'm in. They've had huge success with their weight loss from the show, but they aren't done yet. They have the same struggles that I do, battling daily temptations and food addiction. But they're not giving up, and neither am I. Hearing them speak about their experiences really inspired me and reminded me why I'm doing this. They reminded me that I'm worth it, that the time, sweat, and tears is worth it, and that I'm becoming a better person with every single breath that I take.

Also, like Cathy and Kristin, I have an amazing support system in my trainers at Fitness Together - Brookfield. Knowing that they truly care and want me to succeed keeps my alarm clock from being blasted into smithereens each morning. There is NO WAY I could be doing this on my own, and having Paul, Kurt, Tina, Cara, Paul Z and Sarah in my corner is an incredible blessing!

xo
Michelle

"Sometimes all you can do is struggle. But as long as you're struggling, you ain't giving up, and that's the half of it." The Gunnar in "Stoneheart" by Charlie Fletcher

2 comments:

  1. What a great post Michelle, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing women Michelle. Keep rocking it even if your results aren't what you want, you will get there!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Platinum Design and Development